Sunday, November 14, 2010

What I'm Listening To...

Okay, so I am going to have to admit in this post that I really like the Twilight series... mostly the books (I like the movies as a visual version but always come away frustrated with all that they change or have to leave out because they can't make a 6 hour movie). Anyhow, to try to defend myself :) I have to say that I like that they are PG-13 type books and Stephenie Meyer does a great job of writing to make you feel the emotion of the characters and they are great love stories. I don't care that its vampires - meaning that I am not going to go read/watch anything related to vampires because I enjoy this series, thats not why I gravitate to them. After reading them, I have gone through a classical literature phase (still in it actually). I read Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Persuasion, Sense and Sensibility, Mansfield Park all by Jane Austen; Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, Evelina by Fanny Burney, and now I am just starting Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte. I really liked most of the Austen novels because they had a happy love story ending, I was really torn while reading Wuthering Heights because it is so dark and tragic, I liked Jane Eyre and Evelina. After reading a lot of these older novels, I see a lot of similarity themes in the Twilight books.
So back to the title and reason I started this post. I have been listening to the music scores from the movies and it has reminded me of how music can be such an emotional thing even when there are no words. I have often wondered if we "learn" the emotion of certain types of music or if we are born with that ability. Like, say I grew up on a desert island with no exposure to music, would I have the same reaction to a piece that I do now? Just wondering...

No comments:

Post a Comment